Friday, May 11, 2012

Curried Chicken Coconut Soup


Yeah, I know, it's not really soup season anymore but sometimes it's just good to make a great soup. I borrowed a friends pressure cooker awhile ago and I was having fun playing with a few different types of food. I haven't used a pressure cooker since I was in high school and even then I never really used it for much other than cooking artichokes. 

 

I love the idea of a pressure cooker and just being able to throw things in to create a meal. Similar enough to a crock pot but it gets the same results in much faster time. You can even throw in frozen meat and once it gets to pressure, it can cook in as few as 10 minutes. That's pretty amazing. I kept it as long as I could but I finally had to give it back. What are some of your favorite things to make in a pressure cooker? Is it worth getting a fancy electric one like what I borrowed or do you prefer the old fashioned stove top version?


I loved the fresh flavors of this soup. The spinach and cilantro pair perfectly with the curried chicken and I love any soup with a base of coconut milk. If you don't have a pressure cooker you could still create this over the stove and still enjoy this great soup.


Curried Chicken Coconut Soup

adapted from Epicurious

Ingredients

3 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
3/4 cup chopped green onions
2 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass (from about 4 stalks)
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
4 large chicken thighs with bones (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 6-ounce package baby spinach leaves
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

Combine first 6 ingredients in 6- to 8-quart pressure cooker. Remove skin from chicken; add chicken to cooker. Lock lid in place. Bring to high pressure over high heat. Cook 8 minutes, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain high pressure. Remove from heat. Let pressure come down naturally 8 minutes. Quick-release any remaining pressure. 

Slowly release lid, standing back and allowing steam to escape. Transfer chicken to work surface; cool briefly. Remove bones. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch cubes. Return chicken to soup; add spinach. Simmer until spinach wilts, about 1 minute. Add lime juice. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with cilantro. Serve, passing lime wedges separately. 



2 comments:

  1. It's always soup season if the soup looks this good. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love curried chicken; all the flavors you incorporated in this soup sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete