Sunday, April 20, 2014

Salted Caramel "Ding Dong" Cake



Life just gets away from you sometimes. Things have just been so busy and unfortunately that meant that I didn't even post once in March. I've still been cooking and baking plenty but the drive to photograph and write up anything just wasn't there.


As many of you know, my wife and I have done foster care for the last 6 years ago. We've had 19 kids come through our home in that time and we've learned and experienced a lot during that time. The kids that have stayed with us (for the most part ;) have been a great addition to our family. Most of the time we do shorter term placements more but we've got two kids with us right now that will most likely be with us for awhile. That means our 4 plus 2 more. If you do the math, trust me it doesn't equal 6. Something weird happens in that equation  and it end up being like a gazillion kids. Also keep in mind that our largest vehicle only holds 7 so that means driving two vehicles anywhere we go together. It's a big crazy mess but you know we love it. We also have a cross country road trip coming up in August. Can't wait for that...

We also said we were going to relax this summer but we already got the project itch so we've redesigned our back yard and already started on the work. 60 more feet of fence and 6 large garden boxes first, followed by breaking up and moving our patio. I'm already tired...


So anyway, it was a beautiful Easter for once and we celebrated with a nice dinner and finished it off later that evening with this amazing Slated Caramel "Ding Dong" Cake. I came across this recipe from Bon Appetit a few times in the last two weeks and I finally gave in and decided I'd make it.  It's two layers of chocolate cake with a chocolate salted caramel layer, a vanilla whipped cream and then the whole cake is glazed with more of the chocolate caramel glaze. I love the combination of salt and caramel and the chocolate cake was perfectly moist. I followed the directions exactly except for using hot water instead of the coffee. It's perfect for a special occasion or just a special weeknight treat.



Check out the full recipe here!

Enjoy!

3 comments: