Monday, May 20, 2013

German Pancakes


This is one of the first recipes that I ever made consistently as a kid. I remember I had the recipe written on a small note card and I would even take it with me when I stayed over at a friends house so that I could make it there. I'd be the star of the show even at 8 or 9 years old.

The ingredients are so simple but combine them and bake and an amazing transformation takes place. The batter rises up out of the pan at each corner creating gigantic crusty crests and then tender dense bread in the center of the pan. It's impressive as you pull it out of the oven but you've got to act fast, it quickly deflates in just a few minutes.
 

To mix them up we had an old hand held beater that had a gear mechanism that when turned would rotate the beaters in the bowl. It was an ancient thing even then and these German Pancakes were the only thing I ever used them for, it was just part of the process. I wish I had a picture of that old tool.


OXO has dramatically improved on that version of my ancient hand tool but seeing this new tool brought back all of those memories of creating German Pancakes as a kid. The newer version is much easier to use, the gears don't get jammed, so it actually spins consistently and the best part is that the beaters are easily removed to clean up afterwards.



The recipe is still one of our family's favorites and we make it probably at least weekly. Most of the time it's for dinner. For extra variety, throw some sliced apples in the pan as it heats up in the oven with the butter!


German Pancakes

Ingredients

6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter

Directions

Combine eggs and milk in a large bowl and beat or whisk together. Add flour and salt and beat to combine.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place the butter in a 9x13 baking dish and place in the oven as it heats up. Once butter is melted add the batter to the hot pan and return to oven. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.


* Disclaimer: I was provided an assortment of OXO tools to try in my own kitchen. I received no other compensation and all opinions are my own.

1 comment: