Monday, April 22, 2013

Danish Yeast Rolls



I think out of any type of bread other than your typical loaf of bread, I'm sure I've made cinnamon rolls the most. There's just nothing quite like a fresh from the oven cinnamon roll covered in sticky frosting. I've tried tons of different recipes and never really been disappointed with any. I certainly have my favorites and I love trying different variations of fillings and flavors.

I'm not quite sure what makes this specific recipe "Danish" but it's essentially a cinnamon roll but the filling is only sugar and coconut. I really like coconut and so I was surprised I had never tried this combination before. When I came across it at Red Star Yeast, I knew it was one I wanted to try.


This recipe uses a lot of butter compared to my regular rotation of bread recipes but it creates a beautifully soft dough and the finished bread and wonderfully light and fluffy while still richly flavored. For the filling it calls for sprinkling with sugar as well as the coconut. A few weeks ago I threw a vanilla bean pod in with a few cups of sugar and I opened it up today to smell it for the first time and I had to use this flavored sugar instead. It added a light vanilla flavor to the bread that I thought was a perfect compliment to the coconut.

Danish Yeast Rolls
Recipe by Red Star Yeast

Ingredients

1 cup milk
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups bread flour
3 egg yolks, room temperature
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Filling
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup coconut

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 teaspoons water


Directions

Combine yeast, 1 cup flour, and other dry ingredients. Heat milk to 120°-130°F.

Combine dry mixture, milk and butter in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Add egg yolks; beat 1 minute. Gradually add remaining flour and knead with dough hook(s) 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.

Divide dough into 2 parts. Refrigerate half of dough until ready to use. On lightly floured surface, roll half into a 12 x 9-inch rectangle. Brush with 1 TBSP melted butter. Sprinkle with 2 TBSP sugar and 1/4 cup coconut.


Starting with longer side, roll up tightly. Pinch edge to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Place on greased cookie sheet. Repeat directions with remaining half of dough. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets. Drizzle with Powdered Sugar Glaze; serve warm.



4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious--thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm.... Wishing I had some of these for breakfast today! Thanks for baking our recipe. ~Linda@RSY

    ReplyDelete
  3. These looks so soft and fluffy and yummy! I'd love one for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete