Sunday, August 5, 2012

Smoked Pulled Pork


Did you miss me? Did you even notice I was gone? I just spent the last week up in the boundary waters of Minnesota. It's a beautiful area and it was so nice to get away for awhile. I had no technology except for my little camera. It also meant I didn't do much cooking for the week, although we did eat pretty well for being in the wilderness with only the food that we could pack in.


Please ignore me in this picture. It was four days in...

As soon as I got back into cell phone range, I scanned through my emails to see if my package had arrived while I was gone. And it had. This beautiful smoker was waiting patiently for me to come home.


So what do I do the day after spending a week around a smoky campfire? I turn on this smoker and spend some more time in the smoke. Although the scents coming from this fire were much better. A beautiful breeze with a mixture of hickory and apple.

For my first foray into smoking, I went with a simple pork butt with a nice dry rub and about 9 hours in the smoker with a combination of hickory and apple wood. It came out juicy and tender with some wonderful crispy edges that made a great lunch on the patio for us and some friends.



I also threw in a few whole potatoes and then took them out after about 20 minutes and diced them up. Tossed them in some olive oil and fresh thyme and put them under the broiler until they were crispy. The smoke flavor was light but still evident.



I can't wait to try some more things in the weeks to come. Do you have any favorites in the smoker?




5 comments:

  1. I love the Boundary Waters...sounds like a fun week! Looks like some tasty pork too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoked Salmon and beef jerky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great trip...and boy does that look tasty.

    ReplyDelete