Friday, August 10, 2012

Smoked Salmon Chowder


You knew I was going to post another smoker recipe right? It's like when you got a new toy as a kid and couldn't stop playing with it for ages. Well, this is my new toy, and all I can think about is new ways to try smoking things. I bought the book Smoke and Spice and have learned a ton just reading through it in the last week. Looks like it's got some great recipes to try out.



The decision was made though on what to make when my friend Joe from Pesante Cuisine stopped by with some salmon for me. Growing up in Seattle, I've had some great smoked salmon in my life so I wondered if I could recreate it. I created a simple rub of just some brown sugar, salt and pepper and then sprinkled it with some fresh dill. Smoked it for about 35 minutes with some fruity apple wood and it came out perfect. Flaky and juicy but permeated with a that nice apple smoke. I split one filet with the boys and then flaked up the other one to be used in a salmon chowder recipe I came across earlier in the day.



The chowder captured the amazing flavor of the smoked salmon and combined with garden fresh kohlrabi and tomatoes, created a hearty soup perfect for a cold winters night... Yeah, I know it's summer and it's not exactly soup season but it was still perfect and I'd make it again for sure. If you don't have or don't want kohlrabi just take it out. If you do use it, make sure to dice it fairly small as it remains fairly firm even after being cooked for some time.


I know that Joe's on a roll with his salmon so go check out Pesante Cuisine for some of his newest recipes too!

Smoked Salmon Chowder
adapted from Epicurious

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, rinsed and sliced (about 3 cups)
1 garlic clove, minced
2 medium golden potatoes, scrubbed and diced
2 medium kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
2 cups milk
8 ounces smoked salmon, flaked
1/2 cup heavy cream
fresh dill, for garnish

Directions
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over low heat. Add the leeks and garlic and sauté them for 2 minutes.

Add the potato, kohlrabi, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. 

Add the broth and simmer until the potato and kohlrabi are tender, about 15 minutes. 

Add the tomato and milk, then the salmon, and bring the mixture back to a simmer for a few minutes.

As it simmers, stir in the cream. 

Remove from heat, pour into serving bowls, garnish with additional dill and serve.



 

7 comments:

  1. This looks AMAZING! I am not one for chowder but I really want to try this. It's a completely different way of using salmon. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea - smoked salmon is so good, delicious use for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I love salmon I never thougt mix into chowdet,great idea sound delicious,I have to try the recipe !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this tonight and it was so good! My husband loves smoked salmon, so I was excited to give this a try and we were not disappointed (as usual) Even though the chopping is time consuming, I love the recipes with lots of fresh veggies in it! Thanks for another great dinner, you’re the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it! Haven't made this in a long time and now I'm craving it again.

      Delete
  5. Your chowders always sound so good, and this one looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As one of the main cosmetics brush providers for a very long time, Karina presents new cosmetics devices and inventive plans that help restorative and skincare marks own the application cycle.

    ReplyDelete