Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sweet Potato Casserole


Can anyone tell me how Pumpkin Pie sits at the dessert table while sweet potato casserole sits with the rest of the food at the table as a side dish? It's like someone thought it would be funny one year to slip a dessert onto the table among all the other dishes and the whole world caught on. I'm certainly not complaining, I just laugh every time I serve it with dinner.



I was honored to find out that my How To Spatchcock a Turkey post was featured in OXO's newsletter that went out to all their customers yesterday! If you're not already a subscriber, get on it! I think this method is going to be the trend this year. I see people talking about it all over the place.


So I'm still planning out my Thanksgiving menu and playing with all the tools from OXO. I wanted to do something with sweet potatoes, I had some pecans in the freezer and a casserole sounded like a good idea. The best part about this dish is that it can be made ahead of time. Bake it completely and then let it cool. Just put it back in the oven 10-15 minutes before serving so it warms back up.



You've got a few more days to get in on the OXO giveaway I've got going on right now so go check it out!

Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup butter


Directions
Combine the brown sugar, flour, pecans and butter together in a small bowl and using your fingers, mix until combined. Set the mixture aside.

In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, salt, vanilla, sweet potatoes, egg and butter and stir un til well combined.

Pour the sweet potato mixture into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle the nut mixture evenly over the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before serving or cool completely and then reheat for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees.




7 comments:

  1. So making this on Turkey Day!! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to try the turkey idea and its hard to say about the sweet potato casserole. Looks like pie to me.










    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks divine!! I love sweet potato anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yea...my friends prefer just regular old baked....I'm going to make these instead and surprise them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dish is absolutely fantastic! It has the right balance of sweet and savory. I did add cinnamon to my potatoes.

    ReplyDelete