Monday, February 10, 2014

Pork Loin Braised in Milk




I honestly feel like it's been so long since I've made something worth blogging about. I'm still cooking but just haven't had the time to think of anything very creative and then the week just flies by.

I was in Wyoming last week for my Grandpa's funeral. It was one of those times where it's a horrible reason to be together but it's also a great thing to have almost everyone together in one place. I brought our youngest with me since she still flies for free and then we got to spend some time at our cabin in Star Valley with cousins and my brothers. Of course we also had to make some donuts for everyone so I did even get some cooking in out there.

As I was searching for some cooking inspiration once I got back I came across this recipe for a milk braised pork loin and thought it was interesting enough to try. I liked the idea of the pork simmering in milk and the addition of nutmeg sealed the deal. It turned out pretty good and stayed nice and moist. It was a simple enough way to cook it and just let it go for a couple hours while doing something else.


Pork Loin Braised in Milk

recipe from Bon Appetit

Ingredients

1 2-pound boneless pork loin, preferably with a 1/4' layer of fat
2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more for seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 cupswhole milk
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Directions

Heat a large ceramic dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add butter and oil and heat until the butter is melted and starts to bubble. Season the pork with salt and pepper and add to the hot pan, cooking each side until browned about 10 minutes.


Combine the milk and nutmeg in a bowl and then pour over the browned meat. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover pot and allow the meat to simmer for about two hours or until tender, turning the meat in the liquid every 30 minutes.

Remove the meat from the pot and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice thinly and serve.








1 comment:

  1. Isn't milk braised pork loin just amazing? And sorry to hear about your grandfather, it is always horrible when someone we love leaves...

    ReplyDelete