Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Buttermilk and Chocolate Chip Waffles


I've got a special guest blogging for me today! It's my seven year old son Kayden. I asked him if he'd like to make dinner last night and then challenged him to do it all by himself. 




I stayed in the kitchen the whole time, but I didn't touch or stir one thing. He did everything by himself. He read the recipe, even doubled it, stirred all the ingredients, cooked the waffles and served them to the family. I even turned over the reigns to my camera and he photographed the food. All the food shots you see in the post are from him. 



It was so fun to sit and watch him work and see the food through his eyes. Some of my best memories are of cooking in the kitchen alongside my mom and I hope he'll be gaining some memories too! I was going to have him write the whole post, but he's not the most "talkative" kid when I ask him to write something. Here's what I got him to write down:


Hi, I am Matt Weber's son Kayden. My favorite food is steak. I made Chocolate chip waffles. Then I cooked them and flipped them on the plate and stacked them. I used oven mitts and that was because I burnt my middle finger. They tasted like chocolate. You could really taste the chocolate chips. 

I'm so glad to have my little helper in the kitchen.



Yeah, he insisted on an upside down shot




Buttermilk and Chocolate Chip Waffles

Ingredients
4 eggs
4 cups buttermilk
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter, melted
Chocolate Chips


Directions
Heat Waffle Iron. In a bowl beat the eggs. Add the buttermilk, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and butter to the eggs. Beat the mixture until smooth. Pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron, sprinkle with chocolate chips and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.


Remove carefully and serve.


21 comments:

  1. Can Kayden take pictures for my blog? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I can start renting him out. Is that legal?

      Delete
  2. Way too adorable! And, I think Waffles for Dinner would be what my oldest would pick, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um well of COURSE you need an upside down shot! Duh! :-) I love this post. Love love love... You must be so proud and what a great cook he already is! Go Kayden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara. It was a fun experiment and I laugh every time I see the upside down one.

      Delete
  4. These waffles look wonderful! I am going to make this recipe. Thank You for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! He did a great job, and I love that he even took pictures. My son turns 7 next week, so much fun to have them in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh I never let the kids near anything hot in the kitchen .for fear of someone at school. Will call child services and step in and tell me I am putting my kids in danger. I don't need my kids taken away. Stove goes on, kids leave the kitchen. They can put the bread in the toaster but can't turn it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment kind of makes me sad actually. Getting involved in the kitchen is a great skill for kids to learn. Of course there's potential to get hurt but as long as you are there to supervise, you minimize that risk while opening up so much more potential. I can assure you that no kid is going to be taken away for cooking alongside their parents!

      Delete
    2. Where's the like button Matt?

      Delete
  7. What fun for him! I cooked my first meal at the age of 7, with my Mom standing by like you did. He's more than welcome to come over anytime and make those waffles for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A seven year old boy cooking! I wish my son could pick up some cooking skills by that age too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun!! Some of my best memories are cooking in the kitchen with my family too - - he did a great job :) Maybe we've just got the first glimpse of the future thymeinourkitchen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post, his waffles look fantastic! Must pass this recipe on to my brother, a waffle fanatic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to be like Kayden!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that he was ready to accept the challenge (and that you let him)! I always have a hard time not 'helping'. He did a wonderful job, my son loves to help out in the kitchen and he is really getting good at prep work... I will ask if he wants to try cooking. Thanks for the inspiration Kayden!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw the pictures of Kayden and thought I had gone back in time to a younger Matt! What a sweet boy to want to do all that work! I bet he was really proud of himself and excited to share with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Just stumbled across your blog and how sweet that your 7 year old made waffles! He did a great job and great pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those waffles look wonderful! What fun to have your son in the kitchen with you :)

    ReplyDelete