Saturday, March 10, 2012

Poutine


As a missionary I spent two years in the Montreal area of Canada. In each city that I lived in, one of our favorite things to do was to try and sample the Poutine from as many different places as we could to determine who had the best. For those not familiar with Poutine, it's a combination of french fries, gravy and cheese curds. Sounds pretty simple but there are so many variations and favorites that you almost never get the same thing twice.



Montreal made it famous and while usually people have heard of it, I really don't see it available in restaurants anywhere else. In Canada, it is available everywhere, and I really do mean everywhere. Even a small town will have dozens of "Casse Croutes" or street side food shacks and even McDonald's and other fast food restaurants carry it.


The variations rest primarily in the gravy or sauce that's poured over it, but even how the french fries are cooked play a key role. My favorite variety were inevitably the ones that were double fried. This process involves blanching the fires for a few minutes in oil that is hot, but not hot enough to brown them, around 300 degrees. They are then drained and cooled for a few hours and then re-fried again at a hot temperature (375 degrees) to get them perfectly brown and crispy.


I've never been able to create my own gravy that matches any of my favorites from Montreal but this recipe came pretty close. My parents sent me a cookbook from one of the restaurants that we had visited back when I was in Connecticut last year and he had a recipe for Poutine that looked pretty promising. It's nice and rich and was a great base that I think is as good as I'll get to until I make it back to Montreal.

Poutine
adapted from Caseus

Ingredients

French Fries
4-5 large Idaho Potatoes
2 quarts oil, for frying
Kosher salt and pepper
Gravy
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup cream
Kosher salt and pepper

1/2 pound fresh cheese curds

Directions

French Fries
Scrub the potatoes and cut them into french fries, about 1/4 inch wide. Place them in a large bowl of salted water and let them sit for about an hour. Drain, rinse and let them dry.

Heat the oil to 300 degrees.

Add the potatoes to the oil in small batches and fry for 4-5 minutes or until they're soft but not browned at all. Remove and drain on paper towels. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for a few hours if possible.

Heat the oil to 375-400 degrees.

In small batches, fry the potatoes until crispy and golden brown. Remove from the oil and immediately sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Gravy
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for a few minutes until the roux becomes thick.

Whisk in the chicken stock and cream. Bring the liquid to a boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Go heavy on the pepper. Trust me.

In individual serving bowls, sprinkle some curds followed by french fries and more cheese curds. Pour the hot gravy over the top, wait just a minute or so to give the cheese a chance to melt a bit and then enjoy!





9 comments:

  1. We loved Poutine during our visit to Quebec. Wish I was close enough to come enjoy some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So when you say "large Idaho potatoes" do you mean the 12 inch ones or the slightly smaller 6 inch ones? I have this dilemma living in Idaho and all. And where might someone that lives in a podunk town find fresh cheese curds? Do you recommend a certain type of cheese curd? I have never heard of poutine but I am curious enough to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey, since they are just for making fires, you can really use whatever you like. I like the larger potatoes so that you get nice long french fries. I would also think you'd have cheese curds in some of your grocery stores with all the creameries out your way. some of the best cheese curds ever come from Star Valley Cheese, not too far from you but I'm sure there are others around there too.

      Delete
  3. Just found your blog (on the Bob's Red Mill site). I'm going to try your gravy recipe tonight. The kids and I are about to try your Coca-Cola Cupcakes - sounds yummy! Thought I'd share another great blog with you. ComfyInTheKitchen.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read about Poutine in a book once and tried it out. Since it didn't have a recipe I just used grated cheese. Maybe I'll have to try it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The curds do make a difference. They don't melt completely, just a little bit and they provide a little more texture. Give it a try again!

      Delete
  5. I have to admit I really REALLY don't like poutine. I went to Canada a few years back and tried it and perhaps it is just that I didn't get a good sample. Since like you said, there are so many different variations. I will have to try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you need to come over and try some of mine. I've never heard anyone say they didn't like it. Maybe they shouldn't eat it, but never because they didn't like it...

      Delete