Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Olive Oil and Whole Wheat Flatbread with Veggies


Starting today, our Virtual Potluck group is working with California Olive Ranch and Bob's Red Mill to bring you healthy options as we start this new year. We'll be sharing some fun and healthy ways to combine whole grains and fresh olive oils to create some fantastic new recipes. Find out more about the potluck and see who's participating here!

Last year, California Olive Ranch came out and hosted a dinner with the Minnesota Food Bloggers at Cafe Levain. I know how fantastic their olive oils are and I've used many of Bob's Red Mill Flours before so I knew this was going to be fun.


We spent the last couple weeks out visiting family in Utah. My dad just had heart surgery so he's been on a pretty strict diet and will be going forward. I wanted to create something that was heart healthy and this was the perfect opportunity. 

I created a flatbread using the Arbequina olive oil. It's light and fruity and perfect for providing a slight olive oil flavor to the crust. The flour I used was the Hard White Whole Wheat flour. I loved how light it was for a whole grain flour and it was a great substitution for a typical white flour dough. I spread the crust with some fat free ricotta cheese and then I topped it with a variety of vegetables including, caramelized shallots and roasted egg plant (both done with the same Arbequina oil), fresh spinach and halved grape tomatoes. Drizzle it with a small amount of olive oil and then cook it at 425 for about 20 minutes.



The great thing with this is that you can serve it at room temperature so you can cook it a few hours in advance and then have it ready in squares as guests arrive. Healthy and no compromise in taste. Even I can't argue with food like that.


Do you want to win some Olive Oil and Flour? Well keep reading then to find out how!
  • Visit either BRM or COR's Facebook pages and retrieve this week's Virtual Potluck code word. Then use that code word in a sentence in a comment below!


Additional Entries:



  • For an extra entry: Follow BRM, COR and VirtualPotluck's Twitter profiles and tweet about the contest linking to the blog you're entering from and using the #virtualpotluck hashtag. Then comment again, letting us know you've done so, by providing the link to your tweet.
  • More Blogs, More Ways to Win: Get additional entries in each week's giveaways by visiting our host blog and finding other participating VP bloggers sites to comment on.
 There will be a new drawing each week, so get moving!


Olive Oil Flatbread

Ingredients

5 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 1/4 cups luke warm water
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup California Olive Ranch Arbequina Olive Oil
5 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Hard White Whole Wheat Flour
1 tablespoon sea salt

Directions

Combine all ingredients at once in a large bowl, stirring well to combine. Cover the bowl loosely and let it sit in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.

Divide the dough in half and roll out each portion into a large rectangle or circle.  Place on a greased cookie sheet. Spread with the ricotta cheese and then top with any other toppings.

Place in 425 degree oven and cook for 20 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.


24 comments:

  1. Looks like healthy pizza to me! Wishing your dad a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently started making flat breads at home and am always looking for new recipes to try. This one looks perfect and gives me the chance to use this bottle of ARBEQUINA I just received today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to try some ARBEQUINA Olive Oil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does using the arbequina over a different variety make a difference?

    urchiken at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not tried the ARBEQUINA brand. I think this will be a fun and healthy receipe to try. Thanks for the great ideas Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to try this flatbread with some arbequina oil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not even sure what arbequina oil is :) But holy cow this flatbread looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to use arbequina oil on some freshly baked bread
    ufg8trj@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shallots carmellized w/the Arbequina olive oil sound good.
    racblom@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the superdelicious recipe! For dessert I'd very much like to try California Olive Ranch's recipe for Arbequina Chocolate Brownies using Bob's Red Mill Flour:
    http://www.californiaoliveranch.com/recipes/desserts/arbequina-chocolate-brownies
    ...yumyumyum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you are posting healthy food! Our family is moving toward a more vegetarian diet and it is greatly improving our health! I hope your dad is recovering well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like Bob's Red Mill on Facebook. I would love to try some ARBEQUINA Olive Oil!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Flatbread made with arbequina olive oil sounds like a great lower-carb alternative to pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh that looks delicious! "Arbequina"...not sure what that's like but it sounds sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your flatbread sounds delicious and a perfect bread for your pizza! All of the toppings sound fabulous, especially the glazed shallots. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd like to eat olive oil flat bread! Thanks for the recipe and the whole grains/Arbequina olive oil giveaway!
    And here's to your dad's quick recovery and future of healthy eats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat, you won this weeks Olive Oil and Flour combination! Send your address to me at webermatt99@gmail.com. Congrats!

      Delete
  17. I follow all 3 and tweeted about the giveaway here:
    https://twitter.com/#!/picatasi/status/155900843319771136

    ReplyDelete
  18. The flatbread with ARBEQUINA olive oil looks delicious - I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would love to try this and many other dishes using ARBEQUINA olive oil!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah HAH! It's all about the olives and the whole grains, then?
    Makes perfect sense.

    I'm a huge fan of whole grains, and olives.

    Rather than purchasing their Miller's Blend, though, I grind my own flour.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Miller blend and Bob Red Mills make things better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. tweeted https://twitter.com/#!/cjsorel/status/157180138331713537

    ReplyDelete