Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Baked Potatoes with Rib-Eye Steak Hash


I found this recipe a few years ago as I was browsing my Bon Appetit magazines and it's become one of my favorite's. It's a fun way to combine steak and potatoes and is fairly easy to put together making it a great weeknight meal that even the kids will enjoy.


As you're cooking the steak in this one, don't be afraid when it tells you to just sear it in the beginning. It's going to be very rare when you slice it up, but when you mix it back in at the end, you can cook it to whatever doneness that you want.

The recipe also called for fresh marjoram and I used some dried that I just bought instead. I recently discovered Penzeys Spices and I was in Spice heaven. I don't know how I haven't seen this place before but I have a feeling I will be back often. The store obviously has an amazing smell immediately as you walk in but it's also well organized and has a wide variety of spices and blends. The staff were extremely helpful and I loved that at each spice they had a description card that described the spice and various ways in which the spice is used. If you're lucky enough to have a Penzeys in your area, go check it out!


Baked Potatoes with Rib-Eye Steak Hash
adapted from Bon Appetit


Ingredients

4 large russet potatoes (each about 10 ounces)
Olive oil
Coarse kosher salt
1 10-ounce rib-eye steak, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 bell peppers (preferably 1 red and 1 orange), cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
1 large onion, halved, thinly sliced
2 red jalapeño chiles, halved, seeded, very thinly sliced crosswise
 
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram
 
2 teaspoons butter
Fresh marjoram sprigs (optional)
 

Preparation





Cut cross in potatoes and press on sides to open slightly. Add salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon butter to each and mash slightly with fork. Top each with steak mixture. Garnish with marjoram.

Cut steak crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Halve slices lengthwise into strips. Add cream, chopped marjoram, and steak to pepper mixture. Simmer until steak is heated through and cream thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and sear until brown but still very rare, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer steak to plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, half of the bell peppers and jalapeños to skillet. Sauté until peppers are soft and onion caramelizes, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining half of the peppers and cook an additional 5-10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Rub potatoes with olive oil; sprinkle with coarse salt. Place on baking sheet. Pierce with fork. Bake until tender, about 1 hour.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really good. You just can't beat steak and potatoes (my husband's favorite things). I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete