Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pancakes


Many of you are probably already familiar with our family tradition of Pancake Wednesday's. This tradition has been going on for over 10 years now and I've been using the same recipe now for that whole time. I have to admit, and I think I could get a few backers, that my pancakes are pretty amazing. For that reason, I rarely try any other recipe.


My mom told me about a recipe that was shown on Martha Stewart last week and I have to admit, this recipe is pretty amazing. I've done whipped egg whites folded into waffle batter but never thought of doing it for pancakes. It creates a perfectly fluffy and light pancake with a touch of sweetness. Be careful to just fold in the egg whites as the directions specify or you won't get the same result. It's also key to melt the butter on the griddle before and it helps create that nice crust on the pancake.


Pancakes
by Neil Kleinberg on the Martha Stewart Show

Ingredients

Makes 18 to 20 3-inch pancakes

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon coarse salt
6 large eggs, separated
3 cups whole milk
3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted, plus 2 teaspoons unmelted for cooking
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups blueberries or sliced bananas and 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar or cinnamon sugar for dusting (optional)

Maple Butter

Directions

  1. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt into a large bowl.
  2. In medium bowl, whisk together yolks, milk, melted butter, and vanilla until combined. Whisk yolk mixture into flour mixture until just combined; batter will be slightly lumpy.
  3. Place egg white in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or whisk by hand, until medium peaks form. Gently mix half the egg whites into batter with a rubber spatula. Gently fold in remaining whites. The egg whites should not be fully incorporated into the batter.
  4. Heat a griddle until hot, about 350 to 375 degrees. Add remaining unmelted butter to hot griddle. Add 1/4 cup pancake batter and let set. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon blueberries or sliced bananas and 1 teaspoon chopped walnuts, if using, over pancakes. When bubbles begin to form, lift pancake; if golden brown, turn. Cook until golden brown on remaining side.
  5. Transfer cooked pancake to a plate and keep warm. Repeat process with remaining batter, fruit, and nuts. Garnish with confectioners' sugar for blueberry pancakes and cinnamon sugar for banana-walnut. Serve warm with maple butter.


2 comments:

  1. Oh man! I need a stack of pancakes right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great Matt. I usually make pancakes every weekend, and like you, I found a recipe I always use. For a long time I used the Joy of Cooking pancake recipe and then i tried Michael Ruhlman's recipe from his Ratio cookbook. FANTASTIC! I've played with that recipe all sorts of ways and it never fails.

    ReplyDelete