Thursday, October 28, 2010

Stir Fried Bok Choy Sum


It has been a beautiful Fall and the farmer's market in Minneapolis was still going on last week, so Breanne and the kids came downtown and we made our last stop at the market for the year. We had some great finds including some fresh Jalapeno cheese and a new ingredient for me; Bok Choy Sum. Similar to traditional Bok Choy or Chinese Cabbage but the Bok Choy Sum is thinner stalks and leaves with yellow flowers. It's a great looking plant and the little Asian woman assured me that I would like it much more than the traditional Bok Choy. Since I had never tried either I went with her suggestion.

Bok Choy Sum

Bok Choy can be used in many dishes but I went with a simple stir fry so I could get the flavor without being overwhelmed by other ingredients. You use the entire plant and I simply chopped it in large pieces; stems, leaves and flowers included. The vegetable turns a bright glossy green when cooked and had a great sweet taste. Make sure you don't over cook it, as you want a little crunch left in it.


Stir Fried Bok Choy Sum


Ingredients
1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic (about 8 cloves)
2 pounds bok choy sum, chopped into large pieces
2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil

Directions
Stir together broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until cornstarch has dissolved.

Heat wok over high heat until a drop of water evaporates instantly. Pour peanut oil down side of wok, then swirl oil, tilting wok to coat side. Add garlic and stir-fry until pale golden, 5 to 10 seconds. Add half of bok choy and stir-fry until leaves wilt, about 2 minutes, then add remaining bok choy and stir-fry until all leaves are bright green and limp, 2 to 3 minutes total. Stir broth mixture, then pour into wok and stir-fry 15 seconds. Cover with lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in sesame oil, then transfer to a serving dish. 

Serve over rice noodles and sprinkle with chopped roasted peanuts.

14 comments:

  1. In a Chinese home, choy sum is almost like the default vegetable. It is used in stir-fries, soups and added to noodles. It is also delicious steamed and dressed with a soy sauce and sesame oil dressing. The next time you are at the Asian grocery store, do pick up some Chinese broccoli. That's another favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will having a family reunion in my house next and I'm probably looking for a recipe that I can cook and serve for my visitors. I think this dish is perfect because it looks really inviting and delicious. Thanks for sharing this!

    Beef Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Really nice post!
    weed for sale online

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.
    Buy moonrock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone Sometimes with visits your blog regularly and recommended it in my experience to read as well. The way of writing is excellent and also the content is top-notch. Thanks for that insight you provide the readers!
    Buy Cannabis Online with Cryptocurrency

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging..
    buy private reserve cans online

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome and interesting article. Great things you've always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post.
    los angeles clones for sale

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant!
    Medical Marijuana for sale in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return.
    Weed for sale

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? order cheap cannabis online

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very useful post. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. Really its great article. Keep it up.
    buy weed online uk

    ReplyDelete