Friday, July 2, 2010

Pancake Wednesday

When I was a freshman in college, myself and a group of friends started making waffles every Wednesday night and inviting friends over to enjoy them with us. It was a great way to get together and meet lots of new people and I have always loved having breakfast foods for dinner anyway. When I came back to school after my mission, I continued the tradition but it eventually turned into my Buttermilk Pancakes. We could have anywhere from 10-30 people over so we went through a lot of pancakes each week.

 I think I can even attribute marrying Breanne from our Pancake Wednesday tradition. Although we had met at home back in Seattle, we connected again at school as she started coming with some friends to our Wednesday night tradition. We've continued the tradition through the seven years of our marriage and I'm sure it will go on. The kids love to help and they know that Dad makes the best pancakes anywhere!

We now use a buttermilk syrup recipe that Breanne got some friends although I do miss the Cinnamon syrup that the girls in A-1 used to make. If any of them read this and still have the recipe, I would love to have it again.

Buttermilk Pancakes

( I usually end up tripling or quadrupling this recipe depending on how many we have for dinner)

1 c. flour
1 T sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt

Mix together these ingredients in a small bowl.

In another bowl combine:

1 beaten egg
1 c buttermilk
2 T vegetable oil

Stir together with dry ingredients just until blended. Stir in additional buttermilk to get to desired consistency.

Cook on hot skillet flipping once when bubbles appear on the surface.

A few years ago, my Mom gave me this contraption for pancakes and I absolutely love it. You just pour the batter in and then it drops perfect pancakes on the pan whatever size you want with no mess.

It's a product from VillaWare and the only issue I have with it is that it has a little plastic piece that they use for the seal at the bottom. After a few months it cracked and fell off. I called them and they sent me a replacement but I can already see that it's happening on this one as well.

3 comments: